Saturday, October 4, 2014

Halloween Costume Teaser Pics


I announced my Halloween costume back in July, but want to do a quick recap for the other Countdown to Halloween bloggers. I'm REALLY excited about my costume, but the only drawback is it's tough to explain. If you're not familiar with Mystery Science Theater 3000 you're gonna be like, "What the hell are you talking about?" If you are familiar with MST3K, you're still gonna be a little confused when I try describing it, but I promise you will love it when you see it! I'm not ready to show off the whole costume yet, but I will give you some teaser costume prepping pics...

Image stolen from the internets

My costume is the MST3K silhouette. I've seen versions of this online and I'm adding my own personal twist. My friend Carolina made the Gizmonic Institute jumpsuit that Joel wears. I've got one more fitting with her, and I gotta add the Gizmonic patch, but it's basically done!

Altering the first draft (no that's not the fabric we're using)


Carolina hard at work while Humboldt supervises


The patch I ordered from Etsy. The internet has everything!

The silhouette proved to be difficult, as I feared. I made a version out of cardboard that looked like crap. The actual outline looked pretty damn good, but the cardboard was not holding up. It was all wrinkly and Crow's head was falling off. No bueno. No way would it survive a Halloween party. Plus it just looked sad. I would need to use some other type of material. Then I had a vision and sent this email off to my dad in late August...

















From there we had a flurry of emails back and forth planning out my vision, which involved wood and jig saws (not a hand saw) and hinges and two different types of paint and straps and nuts and bolts and craziness! Again, I'm not ready to reveal the final product, but here are a few teaser pics.

The workshop aka Mom and Dad's garage. Can you spot my little furry helper?


You know your costume is complicated when it involves your dad and a jig saw.






We are super stoked for the finished product! And I look like the Unabomber.

Special thanks to candy corn for being delicious

Squeeealll! I'm getting so excited. I'll reveal the final product later in the month. I can't freakin' wait! God, I wish I spent as much time and energy planning my life as I do my Halloween costume.


No comments: