Saturday, August 30, 2014

Scare L.A. and Other Goings-On

Scare L.A. was three weeks ago and I'm just now getting around to writing about it. Whoops! I'm procrastinating writing posts for my procrastination blog. That can't be good.

Scare L.A. was great, as expected. A way bigger crowd than last year. I cheaped out and bought the basic one-day cheapo pass. I still had a good time, but I definitely plan on buying the fancy pass next year so I can take classes and what not. I still left feeling PUMPED for Halloween.

The following panels were pretty rad:

When Hinges Creek: Celebrating 45 Years of the Haunted Mansion. This had a lot of old tales and behind-the-scenes stuff about Disneyland's Haunted Mansion as told by the folks who originally designed the ride system. Halloweeny history!

Making Monsters. The hair and makeup folks from all the big parks in SoCal took the stage to talk about the logistics of creating hordes of monsters for their Halloween nights, including Knott's Scary Farm, Queen Mary's Dark Harbor, Six Flag's Magic Mountain Fright Fest and Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights. I am truly impressed with the effort and creativity that goes into this, especially for the groups that have tiny budgets.

Exploring the Ruins of Los Angeles. This was by far my favorite panel of the day. A team of urban explorers from Atlas Obscura talked about all kinds of off-the-beaten-path locations in L.A. You must check out the Los Angeles branch to see what other adventures they have planned. I was rapidly jotting notes of all the cool places they were talking about, but it will be easier if you just check out their site. I'm lazy.

And of course, we had plenty of photo ops:

Monsters!


My Halloween friends



My Halloween parents



More Halloweening around with friends and fam



Making Monsters panel

It was also the weekend of the Super Moon!

Other Halloween Goings-On

RISE of the Jack o' Lanterns - I just bought a Living Social deal for this and I'm really excited. Over 5,000 jack o' lanterns on display on a scenic trail at Descanso Gardens. Sounds like one of those Christmas Tree Lane neighborhoods but better! Various dates available in October. Check it out! They have a version in New York, too.

Ghostbusters 30th Anniversary - Ghostbusters is being re-released this weekend on the big screen for its 30th anniversary, and for the life of me I cannot figure out how this is not sold out!!!! I bought tickets weeks ago when I found out. How are people not stoked out of their minds to see Ghostbusters in the theater again???? GHOSTBUSTERS ON THE BIG SCREEN. My tickets are for tonight and needless to say, I am excited.

Courtesy of the Ghostbusters Facebook page


"We came, we saw, we kicked its ass!" -- Peter Venkman





No comments: