Saturday, February 1, 2014

February Meditation Challenge - Day 1

Image courtesy of Ambro / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Day one of the meditation challenge and I'm already feeling annoyed, which I think is a good thing. It's probably better than feeling complacent and means there's room for improvement. I totally misunderstood the meditation challenge and thought there would be meditations posted on the website. Turns out you need to buy one of Sharon Salzberg's books and follow along that way. I actually did buy her Real Happiness book a little while ago, but it's the Kindle version so it doesn't come with the meditation CD (I guess that's why it was only $2.99). I enjoy the book and think she has a lot of good things to say about meditation and mindfulness, but it's hard to just read the meditations.

Soooo...new plan. I will figure out my own meditation to do each day. I ended up putting on another meditation CD this morning only to find that my computer speakers are f'd up. When did that happen?! Then I was even more annoyed. I ended up using my phone to look up a guided meditation mp3 and listened to that instead, but didn't really enjoy it. There was also a meditation class I planned on going to this evening, but I chickened out. Day one is off to a bad start, folks. But that's okay. We've got a whole month to figure this out.

I think I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed with all the options there are for meditation. You can do it with a group or find a class or listen to a guided meditation or just sit alone and pay attention to your breath or do a walking meditation or...aaagghh! So many choices. Like most things in life, I just want someone to tell me what to do.

I took a step back this evening and asked myself what it is I'm hoping to get out of meditating. I guess I'm looking to find a sense of calmness that I can carry with me. I want to reduce tension, anger, and irritation. I want to learn to appreciate life instead of complain about it. Obviously there will be times in life when I feel sad and angry, but I want to learn to accept those situations and move on rather than dwell on them. I also want to learn to ditch completely unnecessary negative thoughts. I consider myself a relatively positive person, but man, sometimes I catch myself thinking really negative shit.

So I will dedicate the rest of the month to figuring out which type of meditation is right for me. Or if it's right for me. Honestly, at this point, I'm more of a fan of yoga. I did yoga on Friday and was reminded of how wonderful it makes me feel. It relaxes my mind and body. It also forces me to be mindful because it's hard to let my thoughts wander when I need to focus on holding a pose.

Come on, meditation. Show me what you got.





No comments: