Saturday, August 10, 2013

ScareLA Halloween Convention - Day 1

Waiting in line to get in. So excited!
Man, I am exhausted! So much Halloween awesomeness today. I went to L.A.'s first Halloween convention, ScareLA. It's a two-day Halloween extravaganza at the L.A. Mart downtown, and today was day one. ScareLA did not disappoint. I have to say, for being its first year, the whole thing went really well and lived up to my expectations. There were minor glitches (i.e. sometimes the presenters were hard to hear because of the acoustics in the show room), but it was mostly super fun and well organized. Bravo, ScareLA!

I was actually kind of surprised I didn't see more people dressed up in costumes. I was kinda worried I'd be the only person dressed as a normal human, but there were plenty of normal human-looking people. It was so fantastic being in a giant room filled with fellow Halloween-lovers. I've made this reference before, but I felt like the little dancing bee girl in that Blind Melon music video where she opens this magical gate and finds a field filled with other happy bee people and they all dance in the field forever. I found my bee people.

Speaking of bee people, I was super stoked to have Jessica as my partner in Halloween crime!


I knew she loved Halloween as much as me, if not more, so it was a good match. And it was funny to see our different Halloween personalities. Jessica gravitated toward the super gory stuff and would say things like, "Look at this awesome severed head!"

So gross.

And I'd be like, "Look at this adorable Halloween cartoon!"

So cute!
I know, I know. I am way too much of a scaredy cat for someone who loves Halloween so much. It's quite the paradox.

There were so many fun classes and presentations at this convention that we started calling it Halloween school. The first class we took was called, "Tailoring Terror: Costume Aging and Distressing Techniques" (taught by Taylor Moten). Or Halloween Home Ec., as I fondly referred to it. This lady knew her stuff. I was scrambling to keep up with my notes. She showed us so many tools and ingredients to use on clothes to make them look zombified--dremel, file cleaner, cheese grader, wire brush, dry wall saw, rocks, instant coffee, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, vanilla extract, shoe polish, cocoa powder, dirt, cinnamon, Schmere. I'm not sure the picture does it justice, but it went way beyond just cutting up an old shirt and throwing some fake blood on it.


Sticking with our Halloween school theme, we also took a music class (Custom music for haunted attractions) and a history class (Halloween vs. Dia de los Muertos), but my favorite class of the whole day would have to be the Halloween chemistry class, or more accurately, "Prop Gore FX, Painting and Repair" (taught by B.J. Winslow). He's the owner of Dapper Cadaver in Burbank, and he demonstrated how to make this awesome gory, bloody dude. I could not even keep up with all the crazy chemicals he was using. Plus he kept warning us about our skin getting burned off if we weren't careful, so I probably won't try this at home. But it was such a fun demonstration!


Then Jessica and I formed a short-lived singing group with Martin the dummy.


I should have closed my eyes, too. I guess I just wasn't feeling it. Sometimes I doubt my commitment to Sparkle Motion.

We also attended the "John Murdy and Chris Williams Halloween Horror Nights" presentation. Insidious producer Jason Blum was also there because they announced that the theme for this year's Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios is going to be based on Insidious: Chapter 2. As much as I hate being scared by these Halloween mazes, I found this behind-the-scenes talk fascinating. I never really thought about how much work goes into creating these things.

Halloween Horror Nights Preview
I learned about so many of the tiny details they have to consider when designing a maze. Things I never would have thought about, like scent. For example, since there's an old woman in the film, they thought it would be a good idea to pump rose water scent into the maze (typical old lady perfume) just before the scary old lady comes out. Cool stuff.

It's getting late and I'm exhausted and need to save my energy for day two of the convention. So I'll just leave you with some awesome pictures/videos.

Scary masks!


More masks!

Spooky pumpkins


Zombie teddy bears


Trying to blend in with the creepy dolls


Sweet dolls


Cool makeup demonstrations


Candy!

There were a lot of cool animatronic characters, too. They were mostly creepy, except for this adorable gremlin guy that I wanted to take home. I'm sure my dog would love him. (I can never get these damn videos centered in Blogger)





I gotta get my beauty rest. More tomorrow!

No comments: