Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Gratitude Wrap-up and Halloween Talk

Today is the last day of April! Wowsa. That went by fast. I survived a whole month dedicated to gratitude, and here are my final thoughts:

- Sometimes being grateful is exhausting. It often felt like a lot of work to force myself to make a gratitude list each day. It's starting to get easier though. It's slowly becoming more of a habit. I'd like to see how I feel in six months or a year from now if I keep up the gratitude habit. Isn't it sad how easy it is to forget about the awesomeness in our lives?

- As I said in my last post, I struggle to connect how the gratitude habit can help someone going through a real tragedy. Oddly enough, the marathon bombings happened the next day. So devastating for so many people. I definitely found myself more grateful for my life and my legs and arms and the ability to run and jump and dance and enjoy life. Then I immediately felt guilty. It just seems wrong to be grateful in light of someone else's misfortune or tragedy. I don't know. This one is still a toughie for me.

- I think the biggest change for me is that I'm better able to look for the good in a negative situation. When I'm feeling super angry or stressed about something, I'm able to step back and ask, "What's good about this situation? What can I be grateful for?" NOTE: This doesn't happen every time. Sometimes I just stay pissed. But I'm getting better at asking myself these questions.

There you have it, folks. I hope April was a month filled with gratitude for you. It was fun getting emails/texts/phone calls from friends and family telling me about how gratitude has affected their own lives. Let's stick with it!

Speaking of things I'm grateful for, I found another opportunity to blog about Halloween (as if I needed a reason). I'll be joining my fellow Halloween bloggers for May Monster Madness. It's a week-long blog hop in May dedicated to monsters. MwuuUuuaaaHHhhaAAHAaaa. I have some ideas up my sleeve, but if you have any monster topics you want to hear about, let me know.  

Also, we have six months until Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments: