Saturday, March 30, 2013

April = A Month of Gratitude

Image courtesy of Vol25.
Check her out on Etsy for more awesome prints!

I want to develop the habit of living a life of gratitude. I've decided to make April the month I start doing this. I consider myself to be someone who tries to stop and smell the roses and be grateful for what I have, but I want to take it to the next level. Wanna join me?

Again, I do the gratitude journal thing from time to time. Sometimes I try to think of what I'm thankful for before I go to bed, but it's usually a quick and generic muttering in my mind. "I'm grateful for my family and friends and my job and my dog." I don't usually take the time to be specific or dwell on these blessings longer than a few seconds.

I also want to learn to be thankful for the small moments that happen each day. I want to be mindful of the simple pleasures and daily blessings I take for granted (like sunshine on my skin and food on my plate). Tiny moments of gratitude.

I guess the exercise will be to wake up and immediately list five things I'm grateful for--physically write/type them instead of just thinking about them. I think there's power in writing. Then I want to jot things down throughout the day I appreciate; more in-the-moment type stuff. And finally, I'm going to list five more things I'm grateful for before I go to bed.

PS. I love how my first reaction to this was, "Ugh. That sounds like a lot of work." Really, Natalie? Thinking about what you're thankful for sounds like work? Looks like I really do need this exercise.

I want to see how I feel after a month. I'm curious as to whether this will make an impact on my attitude. I like to think it will. I'm hoping this adventure will also help turn my complaints into thoughts of gratitude. For example, when I start thinking that my legs aren't skinny enough, I can learn to be grateful that I have legs that work! I can run and jump and dance and move freely without problems. It's time to stop taking such things for granted.

I'll post my progress on the gratitude challenge throughout the month. If you want to join me, I'd love to hear how things go for you!

2 comments:

Brooklyn said...

Love this. Also I'm grateful for you on a regular basis. It's amazing how someone can make you laugh from miles away.

Natalie D. said...

I'm grateful for you, Brooklyn! I love that distance has not hindered our friendship.