Tuesday, October 9, 2012

My Halloween Autobiography

Why do I love Halloween so much? Good question. As a kid, it's hard not to like Halloween. You get to dress silly and go out on an adventure in the neighborhood and people just give you candy! And you don't have to do anything to earn it! Greatest. Day. Ever. When else do you get to come home with a giant bag filled with candy?

Pure Halloween joy

As you can see, my mom made some pretty rockin' costumes for my sister and me. She'd ask what we wanted to be toward the end of summer/beginning of fall so she had enough time to sew our costumes. This is probably why I'm always brainstorming costume ideas during the summer. We'd go trick-or-treating every year with my cousins who also had badass costumes. I just remember Halloween being this really amazing experience. The candy, oh, the candy!

My first costume (I'm the clown)

More candy!


My sister and I with a creepy dude.

I could go on and on with the pictures, but the point is, I loved Halloween as a kid. Then junior high rolled around and I stopped giving a crap.

7th grade?

Too old for trick-or-treating. I think it wasn't cool to have your mom make a costume, so if there was a Halloween event, I'd just throw something together last minute. Keep in mind, young folk, this is back before slutty costumes took over the Halloween costume market. Hard to believe, I know.

High school was kind of the same. Sometimes my friends and I would dress up. We might go to a party or a haunted house, but there wasn't always something going on. Then I went off to a really conservative college where no one celebrated Halloween. I mean no one. It was kind of depressing. I think I maybe went to one Halloween party where I threw together a tooth fairy costume at the last second.

So by the time I got out of college, I was having Halloween withdrawals. I was desperately missing the costumes and candy and spooky decorations and parties and haunted houses and the Great Pumpkin and everything! I became obsessed. I thought about costume ideas year round. I dreamed of throwing my own Halloween party. I've basically spent the last ten years loving Halloween and dragging my friends along for the ride. Nothing makes me happier than to have a friend email me in the middle of summer and say, "I've decided my Halloween costume already!"

My favorite adult Halloween costume (thanks again to Mom's help)

The funny thing is, I actually hate being scared, and I don't like anything really gory, which seems sort of odd for someone who loves Halloween. My friends host a scary movie night every year where we vote on what movie to watch, and I always vote for The Little Mermaid (which is never actually an option, but I'm too chicken for the really scary movies). I guess I'm more of a fan of campy Halloween stuff: Ghostbusters, Nightmare on Elm Street, old classic movie monsters. That kind of thing.

Anyways, that about sums up my Halloween history. Hope you enjoyed this little self-indulgent post. Happy Halloween!


3 comments:

Spooky Vegan said...

Such cute costumes! Your mom is super talented!

I didn't really get to celebrate Halloween all that much as a kid and all through high school (we lived out in the boonies) and like you went to a really conservative college, so Halloween wasn't celebrated like it should have been!

Sounds like we are both making up for lost time now, yay!

Daphne Rozum said...

I'm in 8th grade right now, and I can thank my father that I have loved Halloween since I was a small child.

Now that I'm in junior high, no one else likes Halloween, and it makes me kind of sad that I'm the only person that puts any work into it at all, and I'm the only girl that doesn't wear a slutty costume.

Praise the Halloween Queens!

Natalie D. said...

Thanks for the comment, Daphne! I can't imagine what it would be like to be surrounded by everyone in slutty costumes at school. The principal and teachers must dread this day. Stay strong. It will get better as you get older and meet more people who are creative about their costumes like you. Love your blog!