Sunday, October 7, 2012

Halloween Costume-Making Amazingness

As I've mentioned before, I've decided to go as Sigourney Weaver from Ghostbusters for Halloween. Here are some pictures to refresh your memory.

There is no Dana, only Zuul!








I was freaking out a little because I hadn't made any progress with this costume other than cutting my hair (and I may need to go shorter). Luckily, my awesome fashion designer friend, Carolina, offered to sew it for me! I was thrilled. While I was surfing the world wide internets I found this girl's tutorial on how she made a Zuul costume. She did an amazing job! Seriously, the best Zuul costume I found online. We are loosely basing our costume plan on this site. And when I say "we" I mean "Carolina" because I can barely sew a button on properly. Note to self: Take sewing lessons next year.

Carolina is making our friend Vivian's costume as well, so this weekend the three of us went down to the fashion district in Downtown L.A. to pick out our fabric. This was our journey...


Carolina and I discuss our game plan


We traveled down sketchy alleys


We love Halloween prints!



Could this be the perfect red for Viv's Jessica Rabbit dress?


Measuring...


Drowning in a sea of fabric. So many options!


Vivian is not impressed with the fuzzy fabric.


We found the perfect fabric for the Zuul dress


I'm so freakin' happy!!!


Viv found her fabric, too!


Carolina finds blue tulle for her loofah sponge costume


The process begins


Carolina hard at work


So far so good!



Jessica Rabbit dress coming along nicely!

I'm not going to give you too many sneak peeks. These costumes are basically done thanks to Carolina's awesomeness. Just a few finishing touches. But you'll have to wait till Halloween to see the final result! 


After a long day we ended up at Villa Sombrero for yummy Mexican food...


...where we met a Michael Jackson skeleton...


...and a creepy head whose eyes followed me.

Seriously though, the food is really good and they are all decked out for Halloween. I highly recommend Villa Sombrero Restaurant.

I am super stoked that my costume is almost done!!! I'm so thankful I have such talented friends. This Halloween is gonna be amazing. I can't wait!!! I need to do a practice run for my hair and makeup. Gotta put that on the Halloween to-do list. 

How are your costumes coming along, readers? If you need ideas, I am here to help!


7 comments:

Carolina said...

Oh my gosh, I've been cracking up at this entire blog, even down to your tags!! This is hilarious! Halloween is so mega awesome!! The entire day was a hoot! You rock!

Anonymous said...

So jealous that you get to hang out with such an awesome gal!! Annndddd get to rock one of her amazing costumes! Love ya Carrie! Looking forward to pics in a few weeks. Blamoart.com Revolution ;-)

Amanda Fay said...

I love it! Wish I could have been there...looks like you had a blast. Miss you girls. You're all so awesome :)

Natalie D. said...

Nice to meet you, Blamo! :-) I was coveting Carolina's shirt all day. Just checked out your products. Super rad!!!

Natalie D. said...

Amanda - we miss you too! We were reminiscing about going downtown to shop for pieces of your dress :-)

Andi said...

I'd love to see the finished piece! I'm going as Zuul/Gatekeeper (bf as Keymaster) this Halloween, so I'm gathering inspiration. I'm procrastinating even harder than you, as I still haven't started yet...

Natalie D. said...

Hi Andi! I need to dig up better pics, but here's one pic to start: http://nataliedejohn.blogspot.com/2012/12/overdue-update.html

Would love to see your finished costume!