Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Ghost of Halloween Past/My Epic Halloween Party

Confession: Sometimes I get stuck in the past. I'm currently missing the old Varna house because two years ago, my roommates, boyfriend and I threw an epic Halloween party. When I first moved in I knew it would be the perfect place for a Halloween party and was hoping my new roommates would feel the same. And they did.

So far it's been the first and only time I've thrown a Halloween party. It was super fun, but a lot of work and I don't think we could have pulled it off without having four hosts. I think we had a good 80 or more people come through the house that night. We had a line for the bar and everything. So if you don't mind, I would like to reminisce...

First we had to create an epic invite. We took a boatload of creepy photos of ourselves and this was the final product.




So spooky, right?! It turned out really good (I probably didn't need to blur out the address since we don't live there anymore, but it seemed like a good idea). We sent this to friends via email and Facebook AND we had some coupons for free prints at CVS so we had a stack of physical invites to hand out to people, too. In fact, I think I still have some. That was the other thing. We weren't rich. So we had to create an epic Halloween party on a budget.

We had many trips to the dollar store and party stores and thrift shops. Then we worked for two months around the clock by candle light to prepare for the big day.

Spooky lighting


The bummer part is that I don't actually have a whole lot of pictures of the party decor, and the ones I do have are so-so. I really need to invest in a quality camera. Or in a quality friend who has a quality camera who wants to follow me around and take photos when I need them.

Here are a few of the pictures I do have.

Spooky graveyard



Spooky crime scene with dead kid in the pool. We also added dry ice.



Spooky booze


Spooky pumpkin torch



Spooky posters



Spooky gross bathroom where someone was murdered


The happy hosts

All in all it was a great party. These photos are not doing it justice. It was truly awesome. Even my dog was hungover the next day:


So tired, man.

One of my favorite things about this whole extravaganza was the video we made. To help get people pumped for our party, we made a mini horror movie and posted it on Facebook. I think people were more disturbed than pumped, but whatever. It was awesome. At the party we had it playing on a giant screen in the backyard along with our silly JibJab video. Here they are! Ps. I don't know how I got stuck with most of the dialogue. My acting sucks.





And our JibJab:



Personalize funny videos and birthday eCards at JibJab!


So much fun. I wish I still lived in a house where I could throw a big party. I'm currently in an apartment so there really isn't room for that, but some day I will own a mansion with the sole purpose of throwing great Halloween parties.

6 comments:

Spooky Vegan said...

Ha! This is great...I especially love the JibJab vid!

Looks like you guys threw an epic party...once you get that mansion make sure to send me an invite :P

Natalie D. said...

For sure! You're on the future guest list, Spooky Vegan :-)

Caffeinated Joe said...

Cool stuff, looks like a lot went into that party!

Natalie D. said...

Thanks, Caffeinated Joe! It was super fun. Now I just gotta find someone else to throw one this year :-)

Newt said...

I've always wanted to throw an epic Halloween party. I've been to a few pretty tame parties and I've been to some wild bar parties, but never the really fun Halloween house party, so I applaud you for pulling it off.

The video was definitely disturbing. Nothing says "come to my house" like murder and mayhem!

And the Jib-Jab was amusing, particularly choosing the Dog for the Mummy!

Natalie D. said...

Thanks, Newt! A few years prior to this party I went to a house party that really went all out. To start, it looked like a haunted mansion even without decorations. They had a psychic there and a band. It was super fun. Unfortunately those people moved away. Talk about an epic party though!