Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Pay No Attention To The Man Behind The Curtain

My goal is to make this blog more LA-centric and what better way to start than with a story about the lovely L.A. Department of Water and Power? Let me bring you up to speed. I left my apartment (and closed my account with LA DWP) back in January to do some traveling. I've been using my parents' address in Northern California because I don't even have an address.

But LA DWP keeps sending me a bill! I've called a ton of times, written letters with documents to prove I no longer live there along with references who can verify this info. Still, they send me bills.

I finally learned that there is a "dispute office" and these are the people I should be dealing with. What a joke. Trying to talk to the dispute office was like trying to see the Wizard of Oz. I called today and asked to speak with the dispute office. I think the phone rep actually gasped.

"No one speaks to the dispute office." No, seriously the rep said that.





I had to speak through him, which is fine I guess. I assumed he would put me on hold and dial their line. But instead he kept saying, "Let me get their attention." I actually heard him knock on a door or maybe a window before he put me on hold. I'm pretty sure they were all sitting in the same room just flipping through US Weekly magazines. Then it was like I we were in the third grade and someone was trying to find out if I liked their friend.

"Um, they're asking what date you moved out of your apartment."

"January 27th. Just like it says on the paperwork I sent. It's the first line in my letter to them."

"Okay, hold on, I'll tell them. Um, also, if they asked you out, would you go out with them? Circle Yes or No."

Okay, so that last part didn't happen. After playing phone tage for a while, I finally won the battle. They are supposedly sending a confirmation letter stating that the account is closed and I don't owe any money. Moral of the story? Don't let those sneaky LA DWP bastards cheat you! Power to the people!

1 comment:

thesunchick said...

LOL! This is awesome- love the picture- so perfect!