Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A Funny Story About Rent (the Musical)

Last night I went over to my friend’s place to eat nachos and watch Rent. It was her idea to watch Rent by the way. She saw the play years ago, but never saw the movie. Cool, I thought. I love that movie. Even if it is kind of depressing.

“I don’t remember it being depressing,” my friend says.

"Well, you know, everyone’s dying of AIDS and what not.”

"They are? I don’t remember anything about AIDS."

This strikes me as a bit weird, but maybe it’s just been too long since she's seen the play. So we’re watching the movie and nothing is familiar to her. Not the music, not the characters, not the depressing ballads about having AIDS. Nothing. Halfway through the movie she finally says…

"This is ridiculous. Nobody is banging on trash cans in this movie

And then it clicks.

“Wait a minute,” I say. “Are you getting this mixed up with Stomp?”

“Is that the one where they go around banging on trash cans with drumsticks?"

"Yeah,” I say.

"Then yes."

2 comments:

Matt said...

Did she at least like the movie? Or am I gonna have to sing "Glory" for her?

Bluervo said...

That's hysterical!